To familiarize the participant with some of the forces that shape the forest harvesting industry, and provide a detailed guide to harvest equipment and how it is used for maximum productivity and safety.
Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Recognize the contribution of Canada’s forest products to the Canadian economy
- Recognize the relative importance of Canada’s forest products in a regional and global context
- Identify five important economic, social and environmental forces that have led to the forest harvesting and silvicultural systems found in Alberta today
- Recognize three emerging forces that will likely change Alberta’s harvesting systems in the future
- Describe the main silvicultural systems in use in Alberta, and why they are prescribed
- Recognize the main harvest methods in use in Alberta, and where they are most often applied
- Recognize the various pieces of equipment that may be used in a logging operation, and when each type of equipment is selected
- Describe the basics of a successful harvesting operation
- Recognize factors that influence the productivity and efficiency of a harvesting operation
- Describe how log quality on a harvesting operation is maintained through each phase of the operation
- Describe how wood size, terrain, road layout, and ground conditions impact each phase
- Relate the production, logging, and quality of each phase to the preceding or following phases
- Recognize the various operational strategies of each phase of a logging operation
- Recognize ‘how to’ conduct operations for each piece of equipment involved in each phase of the harvesting operation
- Course delivery is available in a classroom setting (at your location) or online. To arrange a classroom delivery send your request to wolfinfo@northernlakescollege
The Woodland Operations Learning Foundation (WOLF) has partnered with Northern Lakes College (NLC) to deliver outstanding courses to meet your needs. The Northern Lakes College user- friendly, online learning system allows you to upgrade your skills and get the credentials you need. Any time that works for you and Anywhere you have internet access.
For a limited time, WOLF Environmental Courses are being offered for the special price of $44 (+gst), THANKS to the support of the Forest Resource Improvement Association of Alberta (FRIAA). This offer is only available to Alberta residents.
WOLF Environmental Courses regular price: $220 (+gst)/course (Discount Price: $44 (+gst)/course for Alberta residents)
WOLF Operational and Business Courses are available for $220 (+gst)/course
Please click HERE to register for the online course